Saturday, January 25, 2014

Barbie In A Mermaid Tale Movie

Rating: NR ( It is perfectly fine for children, of course!)
Run Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes

Summary(amazon.com):
Barbie stars as Merliah, a surfer who learns a shocking secret: she's a mermaid! She and her dolphin friend set out for an undersea adventure to rescue her mother, the queen of Oceana.

My Review:
When I first picked up this movie from the library, I was a bit skeptical that it was going to be too juvenile. However, as soon as the first few minutes of the movie started, I became hooked! What I loved overall about the movie is that it had a similar vibe to the movie "Aquamarine" (see the review here!) as well as the book series "Tempest" by Tracy Deebs and "The Mermaids Mirror" by L.K. Madigan (see the review here). The movie had a fun Malibu/ Summer time feeling! When Merliah enters the underwater kingdom of Oceana, I thought it was fun that the creators of the movie made Bloomingtales and Seaphora, which are popular make up and clothing stores. I also loved the animation, which was bright, vibrant and colorful! I would have to say, two things that I didnt enjoy about the movie was that the storyline began a little too fast. I would've liked to see more of Merliah's life before discovering that she is a mermaid. Also, I found that some of the mermaids were a bit airhead-ish, and it got annoying after a while. Kids will also learn two major lessons; one, that the ocean needs to be cared for to survive and keep other creatures happy and healthy, and two, accept what makes you different and unique! This movie was absolutely fun, bright and I believe any mergirl or mermaid will love this movie. I give this movie (*****) 5 stars
-Sirenita The Selkie
PS: Stay tuned for "Barbie In A Mermaid Tale 2"!

No comments:

Post a Comment